A. Grading
1. Grade reports are available online at the end of each course.
2. Conceptual Grading Standards in the Graduate School
The grade of C indicates that the student showed a fair understanding of the
material and was able to express that understanding clearly and accurately.
However, this level of understanding does not meet graduate level
expectations. Assignments were completed on time, and for multiple segment
work (e.g., discussion board posts) there were sufficient entries to show
consistent effort and understanding.
The grade of B indicates that the student not only showed a fair understanding
and diligence, but went beyond a fair understanding, able to extend the
knowledge to other situations, making application between the material and
other concepts and contexts. The expression of these ideas shows greater
depth of understanding and critical thinking.
The grade of A indicates a superior level of understanding of the material and
expression of ideas, with a depth of critical thinking, synthesis and
evaluation on issues such that the individual shows a professional level of
understanding of the material.
● The above should be included in all graduate syllabi.
The following scale is used in evaluating a student’s work:
A Superior 4 grade points
B Good 3 grade points
C Fair 2 grade points
F Failure 0 grade points
I In-Progress 0 grade points
W Withdraw 0 grade points
P Pass Not included in grade point calculations
N No-pass Not included in grade point calculations
3. In-Progress Grades
a. A student not completing required coursework before the end of a course
may, at the discretion of the instructor, receive an “In-progress” (I) grade
for the course. The student must complete an “In-Progress Request Form”
and have it approved by the course instructor and the Program Director or
b. “In-Progress” grades for courses graded on a Pass/No Pass basis are
converted to “No pass” (N) grades, and courses graded A-F are converted to
an F if a final grade has not been submitted by the time period agreed upon
by student and instructor.
c. Students may not carry more than two “In-Progress” grades at any one time.
B. Repeating a Course
A student may repeat a course in which a grade of C, N or F has been earned upon approval by the program director and the college dean. While all grades remain on the student’s academic record and transcript, only the highest grade awarded will be used in calculating the student’s grade point average.
C. Withdrawing
1. A student may request the grade of “W” before a course is 80% complete, based upon the course calendar. If the course is more than 80% complete, the student’s grade is calculated based upon graded components stated in the syllabus.
2. Withdrawing from a class may have financial implications. Consult the
University Catalog.
D. Changing or Appealing a Grade After It Has Been Issued
Errors in recording or miscalculation must be changed no later than the end of the
semester following the error. Grade changes must have accompanying documentation and be approved by the Department or Program Chair and the Dean of the College in which the program resides. Students who wish to appeal a final grade will follow the procedures found in FH 9.47. The appeal must be initiated no later than 5 university business days after grades are officially posted by the registrar’s office.
The appeal of a grade must follow the appeals process found in FH 9.47.
E. Graduate Academic Appeals Committee
The Graduate Policies Committee serves as a group of faculty and administrators to hear student academic and non-academic appeals. If students believe an academic or nonacademic action has been taken, the student may follow the appeal procedures outlined in FH policies 9.47 and 9.66.

Last modified: March 15, 2018