A. As a general rule the terminal degree qualifying an individual for tenure or advancement should be
appropriate for the person’s teaching responsibilities.
B. Professional degrees (e.g. M.B.A., M.S.W., M.D., D.Min., D.D., M.A.R.) are not acceptable as
terminal unless the person involved teaches only professional courses.
C. The usually accepted terminal degrees include the following: Ph.D., Th.D., D. Miss., D.M.A. (in
music only), Ed.D., M.F.A. (in art or theatre only). The D.A.T. is recognized as an alternative.
D. The M.L.S. (a professional degree) is accepted for faculty status only in combination with another
academic master’s degree.
E. The M.B.A. in combination with another appropriate credential is accepted as terminal in business
administration. Thus the faculty person should also possess the C.P.A. (accounting), or the J.D. degree
(business law). If a second such credential is lacking, the Ph. D. or the D.B.A. is required.

Last modified: March 15, 2018