Requirements at a Glance:
Students enrolling at Concordia must have access to a computer that meets Concordia University’s technology requirements. An acceptable device is one that has connectivity on a high-speed internet network, is capable of running a supported operating system (specifics listed below), is capable of running university core applications, and features both a webcam and microphone. Most devices sold within the last two years will meet these requirements. Chromebooks do not meet this requirement as they do not have a supported operating system.
Standard Operating System: Officially supported Microsoft Windows or Apple IOS. Operating systems that are no longer supported by Microsoft or Apple are no longer recommended. Android is not a standard supported operating system. Thus, Chromebooks do not meet the necessary requirements.
Core CSP Software To Which Your Computer Needs to Be Compatible
- Blackboard and Blackboard Collaborate – Link for Blackboard System Requirements and Link for Blackboard Collaborate System Requirements
- Respondus (Lockdown Browser and Monitor) – Link for Respondus Lockdown Browser System Requirements and Link for Respondus Monitor System Requirements
- Microsoft Office – Link for System Requirements
- Gmail/Google Drive and Google Meet – Link for Google Drive System Requirements and Link for Google Hangouts Meet System Requirements
- SPSS – Link for System Requirements
Software Requirements On The Computer
- Microsoft Office Suite: Provided by Concordia; Can be installed on up to five different devices per student. Programs include: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Sign up for Microsoft Office Suite here for free!
- Anti-Virus: Concordia requires that students have a valid anti-virus program installed on their device. It is highly recommended that students do not purchase anti-virus software but rather
use the free Microsoft Security Essentials from http://windows.microsoft.com/enus/windows/security-essentials-download
Internet Speed Requirements
All students need internet speed capable of running CSP core software including Blackboard Collaborate, Google Hangouts Meet, Gmail/Google Drive, and Respondus Monitor. There are many variables that come into play with internet speed including the ISP, the router/wireless access point you are using, the wireless card in the device you are utilizing. Most applications currently recommend 10 Mbps. Google has a good preparing your network document for Google Hangouts Meet which can be helpful in preparing your connection (Link).
Additional Core CSP Software For Faculty/Staff To Which Your Computer Needs to Be Compatible
- Fortigate Client – Link for System Requirements
- Jabber – Link for System Requirements
- CrashPlan – Link for System Requirements
Last Day This Page Was Updated
This page was last updated on April 6, 2020.