Skip to content
Off Campus and Post Grad Opportunities
- Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA) – www.hecua.org
HECUA, through internships and off-campus study programs, gives students the chance to bridge their academic learning with direct experience of the urgent social challenges facing our society. Offerings include Twin Cities campus and several sites abroad.
- School for International Training (SIT) – www.sit.edu
SIT prepares students “to be interculturally effective leaders, professionals and citizens committed to responsible global citizenship.” Offerings include study abroad, graduate degrees, professional and certification programs, academic centers, and youth programs.
- International Partnership for Service-Learning – www.ipsl.org
Offered in 14 countries, IPSL programs unite academic study and volunteer service, giving students a fully integrated study abroad experience.
- University YMCA Immersion Program –www.ymcatwincities.org/locations/universityY/universityY_Immersion.asp
short-term, student-led alternative break social justice study/travel experiences over winter, spring, and summer breaks
- Center for Global Education – www.augsburg.edu/global/
- Global Citizens Network – www.globalcitizens.org
- Actions Without Borders – www.idealist.org
A searchable database of thousands of volunteer, job, internship, and study opportunities in your community and around the world.
Area Schools and Programs
- Augsburg College
- Augsburg College – Center for Global Education
- College of St. Catherine
- College of St. Benedict’s/St. John’s
- Hamline University
- Hamline University – Wesley Center for Community Involvement
- Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA)
- Macalester College
- Normandale Community College
- St. Olaf College
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- University of St. Thomas
- University YMCA – Minneapolis
Advocacy and Government Links
Twin Cities Links
Homelessness and Housing
Advocacy and Government Links
Resources on Service-Learning
- Campus Compact and Minnesota Campus Compact:
Concordia University is a member of Minnesota Campus Compact, a coalition of 50 college and university presidents committed to strategic partnerships that strengthen communities and education for informed and active citizenship. As one of 25 state Campus Compact coalitions, MCC is also connected to a growing national network of over 750 college and university presidents committed to these same ends.
- Robin’s Guide to College and University Service-Learning Programs:
Contains a collection of hundreds of service-learning programs at colleges and universities nationwide.
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse (www.servicelearning.org)
- National Youth Leadership Council (www.nylc.org)
NYLC, based in St Paul, for 20 years has led a movement linking youth, educators, and communities to redefine the roles of young people in society through service-learning.
- Campus Community Partnerships for Health (http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/)
A nonprofit organization that promotes health through partnerships between communities and higher educational institutions.
- Educators for Community Engagement (www.e4ce.org)
The only national organization committed to democratizing classrooms and communities through learning circles, service-learning, and critical dialogue, ECE brings together college and university students, faculty, staff, and local community organizations to develop and implement creative strategies for teaching, learning, and social justice.
- Michigan Journal of Community Service-Learning: (www.umich.edu/~mjcsl)
The nation’s leading journal dedicated to service-learning and civic engagement in education
- 101 Ideas for Combining Service and Learning (http://www.fiu.edu/~time4chg/Library/ideas.html)
- United Neighborhood Network: (www.unn.umn.edu)
A page that helps faculty link up with Twin Cities area community organizations. Also includes a project planning tool.
- APSA’s Service-Learning in Political Science (http://www.apsanet.org/content_7590.cfm)
A resource to highlight service-learning efforts in the field of political science and assist faculty to learn about and integrate service-learning into their courses. Includes a Tool-kit.